July 18, 2007

My Habu Story

I am cheap. Seriously. I do not like spending money. When I first started knitting and started reading blogs and found out how much people spent on yarn I considered quitting and learning how to do oragami or something that did not require such a dire hit to my already slim pocketbook.

However I slowly graduated from my mom's old stash, to acrylic
s from michael's (with the 40% off coupon - of course), to knitpicks, to elann's, to random ebay bids, to looking for discount yarn that I craved. Then one day I went with Olga and Ava to a HUGE YARN SALE. And we bought nothing. During lunch Ava showed me her Habu catalog and I started to drool, and swoon, and want to have some Habu. What a completely etheral, unique and absolutely wonderful array of completely unexpected knitting materials. But I held back from buying, because, I am cheap.

Then I kept seeing all these wonderful Habu FO's all over blogland and I gave in. Olga sorta kinda convinced me to get some gorgeous tsumugi silk. I was so busy with work and it sat in my secret hiding spot for yarn for a few weeks. I felt that I would not be able to give it the time it deserved. Is that weird? Maybe. But I had resisted the Habu for so long I was not going to knit it up just like that!

I started my Habu tunic a week ago today. I am loving the drapeyness of the fabric so far, it is going to be so soft and flowy and completely not like anything I have made before. I cannot knit it fast enough.

So, even if it is a little bit more expensive, and I cannot use my 40% coupon from michaels on Habu, I am a convert.

3 comments:

kitty kitty said...

How lovely.. I understand completely hiding away Habu for that special project and being timid to actually knit with it. There is something about Habu yarn that at least for me is intimidating at first. I find myself just wanting to enjoy it in the little balls or cones not wanting to touch it, because that joy will gone. Then I am always so happy that I did when all is said and done.

OLGAJAZZY said...

Palomita, this is the sweetest post.. a convert, I am proud. It's rather be less, but prettier and quality made. May sound snobbish, but yes, I am a yarn snob. And I can't wait to see how it come out.

Carlene said...

Oh, I am cheap too. I only bought 4 small skeins, each different (2 from the sale bin), when I went there, because (1) I didn't have a project already in mind, and (2) I'm cheap. I am going to purchase a kit for this knitalong, but it's going to kill me. In a good way.