Thank you so much Olga, for inviting me to this KAL!! So here goes my first Habu FO posting for the site.
The colour is melon, and as I found almost impossible to photograph.Item#:KIT 51 kid mohair cape
Content:80% mohair, 18% wool, 2% nylon
Bought it from a merchantat the Knitters Connection Merchant room.
Photo from Habu's Site
I had been playing with the pattern for a while and really running into a lot of problems. The cape is essentially done in 4 pieces. I had done the bottom two pieces and tried them on and really didn't like how they fell on me. I thought that it looked too small for my scale. Then entered the fear that if I did them to the proper scale I wouldn't have enough yarn in the kit. (I ended up with only 40 inches on both balls.)
So I decided to start with the knitted section and then work my way down. That way I would have the control to make it the proper scale, and also if I didn't have enough yarn to finish the next row I could just stop. Once nice thing about crochet is that there is no binding off.
One warning I would give you if you try to make the cape is the knitting needle size in the pattern for US size is wrong. The actual size is somewhere between a 10 and an 11 not the 6 or 7 that they tell you to use in the pattern. I pulled out a Japanese chart to compare the mm to the US charts. I also could never find a chart to what a size 15 Japanese crochet hook is in US sizes. Since the 15 in US sizes is way to small.
I constructed the cape by knitting the collar and then just casting on directly from the bound off edge for the body. I essentially followed the increases in the pattern but increased 2 extra stitches in the front and back on every other opposite rows for increases.
The total construction time once I decided to do it this way took about 2 hours to finish and then another 2 days to block dry.
Sorry the colours are really off. They were taken in the basement since really wearing mohair in 98 degree weather just isn't going to happen.